Dioctyl Terephthalate (DOTP) Definition
Dioctyl terephthalate is an important phthalate-free plasticiser, being the diester ofterephthalic acid and the branched-chain 2-ethylhexanol. It is a colorless viscous with very good plasticizing properties and may be used as a direct replacement for ortho-phthalates in many applications. DOTP is a general purpose plasticizer that is considered safer than ortho-phthalate plasticizers due to its excellent toxicological profile. (More Info) It has uses in applications like extrusion, calendaring, injection molding, rotational molding, dip molding, slush molding and coating. It is a non-phthalate plasticizer, being the diester of terephthalic acid and the branched-chain 2-ethylhexanol. This colorless viscous liquid used for softening PVC plastics is known for chemical similarity to general purpose phthalates such as DEHP and DINP, but without any negative regulatory pressure. It possesses very good plasticizing properties and may be used as a direct replacement for DEHP and DINP in many applications.
Dioctyl Terephthalate (DOTP) Applications
- Dioctyl terephthalate is also known as (bis(2-ethylhexyl) benzene-1,4-dicarboxylate or Di(2-ethylhexyl) terephthalate), commonly abbreviated DOTP or DEHT, is an organic compound.
- General purpose PVC plasticizer and can be used as a phthalate replacement.
- Used in applications like extrusion, calendering, injection molding, rotational molding, dip molding, slush molding and coating.
- Used in automotive parts.
- Used in coated fabrics.
- Used in flooring, wall coverings, O-rings.
- Used in wire & cable.
- Used as plasticizer of PVC and PE cable.
- Can work with DOP in any ratio.
- Can reduce viscosity and increase keeping life.
- It is particularly useful in plastisol applications because it imparts lower initial viscosity, better viscosity and stability than branched plasticizers.
Dioctyl Terephthalate (DOTP) CHARACTERISTICS
- Molecular Weight : 390
- Appearance : Clear
- Physical State : Viscous Oily Liquid
- Specific Gravity : 0.9822
|Ester Content||%wt.||99.50%||ASTM D-1045|
|Water Content||%wt.||0.10%||ASTM E-203|
|Specific Gravity||27C||0.980-0.986||ASTM D-1045|